8.2.12

as you might know I am a big fan of diy - so I hope this one is not to late for the upcoming valentines day. I came up with this idea 20 years ago when I use to make greeting cards and I didn't do shapes like hearts, I made square shapes and would do water colour paintings in the window, I will have to hunt those down and photograph for you to see. I can't believe I did all that work and would sell the cards for $4, anyways this fun diy will give you an embossed look on your paper and you can add things to the surface by drawing or painting or what suits you best.
embossed heart stationery what you will need
  • exacto knife
  • folding bone
  • card stock for the heart template
  • cutting mat (optional)
  • various papers
first start by cutting out the shape of the image (heart) with the exacto knife, it's a good idea to use a good thickness of card stock, the thickness will determine how deep your image sticks out. I didn't have a thick piece of card stock so I just glued two thinner pieces together you can hold the template on the good side of your paper, by holding up to the light, it will help you with your registration, I found it was easier to do this next step on the window. once you've positioned it to where you want it - take the folding bone and rub in the area of the cut out- if you don't have a folding bone, you can use a dull pointy tool, like your knitting needles - that should work. I hope you enjoyed this tutorial, try drawing on the image afterwards or water colour painting the surface, a note on paper the softer it is the better it works, although it did work quite well on the manilla tags.
p.s. thank you for the positive responses to the new bookhou shop, I will have more work in there tomorrow. today was a busy day and I couldn't get to the computer.
have a great day! xxa

23 comments:

  1. so fun, I'm going to try this. Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is beautiful and so easy! thanks for the inspiration <3 happy february.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much! I was always wondering how that is done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cool and I was just finishing a card for my husby and wanted to add some texture without making it too girly...This is perfect as I can emboss a small heart inside my stamped hearts. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are so so smart, I'm loving this very much !
    thank you for sharing the how-to !
    oxox

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is wonderful Arounna! I will try it for sure. And I would love to see your watercolour greeting cards!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome tutorial! So simple and professional looking! Thanks again Arounna :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is so lovely! so subtle and perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great IDEA!! I'm gonna try it~~~ :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This brings back memories of my very favourite teacher at art school who taught me this technique - wonder what happened to the projects I used it on?!
    What a wonderful tutorial, you're such a fine teacher too! And I bet those $4 cards were a real steal.

    ReplyDelete
  11. thank you for this d.i.y. - i've always been curious about how to do imprints like this one.
    much appreciated :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love this idea!! i love the look of imprinted shapes, but have never had an imprinter to make my own - thanks for the inspiration! i am currently going through a massive necklace-making phase, but i might have been persuaded to branch out :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I tried it out with my daughters (3 and 5 yo) and we love it! So easy and with such an amazing result, thanks you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a delightful way to emboss....thanks for sharing your technique from long, long ago!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you very much! This such an elegant and easy way to add extra beauty to cards and tags and all things paper.
    *drawing you a sun on post it note

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is one of those times where I say "duh, why didn't I think of that"

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for the good tutorial - plan to try

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this tutorial. Thank you, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great little idea! I will definitely be doing this for my Pocket Letter Pal Pages :) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for leaving a comment - we read each one and will try our best to respond back.

please wait a moment for the comment to be moderated, only submit your comment once.